Wednesday, March 21, 2007

photo by Angelo

I spent this past weekend trolling for SXSW freebies. Without a $600 badge or a $160 wristband a fellow has to start hustling a little. In all honesty, folks did most of the hustle for me. Ginny from Okayplayer made a few dozen calls. At one time me working as load crew for El-P was discussed. Guest list for Amy Winehouse? But SXSW authorities got all jumpy and finally she called Tayyib Smith, general socialite and industry insider, along with his own journalism and soiree endeavors.

Ultimately I just hung close to Tayyib and he handled the VIP hookup for me, Jill, his friend Sara, and anyone else who was nearby. Thanks Tayyib for the wave past the velvet ropes.

I spent most of my time at day parties because they seemed to be more accessible for industry related shows than the population doubling night bills. Monday, OKP posted my thoughts about the weekend on their blog. Check it out here. (Scroll to the SXSW 2007 headline.)

Two shows I wish I had seen, were the 50th Anniversary Stax Records Reunion, and Charles Wright with the Watts 103rd. (For some reason he's abbreviating the name now.) Both of those were at Antones, but Jill and I got crazy sunburned at the Stubbs Ghostface/Rakim show and slept right through the late afternoon and Charles' performance.

No comments: